The Medical Enlisted Commissioning Program (MECP) allows enlisted sailors in the Navy an opportunity to earn an entry level degree in nursing and be appointed as an officer in the Navy in the Nursing Corp. To be considered for the program you must meet the minimum requirements and submit an application package to Naval Medical Education and Training Command (NMETC.)
Once accepted in the program you will have to extend your enlisted to cover the period of training and must serve a minimum of 10 years as an officer to be eligible for retirement pay so don't take this program lightly. If successful however, you will be serving with the most skilled medical group on this globe and will have unlimited opportunities once you've retired!
Minimum Requirements for the Medical Enlisted Commissioning Program (MECP)
- U.S. Citizenship (No Waivers)
- Opened to all rates and rank
- Applicant must be commissioned prior/before reaching their 42nd birthday (No Waivers)
- No high school transcripts are NOT required. (NOT REQUIRED)
- At least 20 years of age.
- A minimum of 30 semester hours (or 45 quarter hours) of undergraduate courses
accepted for transfer towards a bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN) by the institution(s) for which you are applying. Strongly suggest you visit the website for the nursing school you wish to attend to ensure that you know the prerequisites you should complete to be competitive. Courses such as English, Psychology, Anatomy & Physiology I & II, Chemistry, Microbiology, Nutrition, etc. are desirable.
- SAT or ACT test taken within the past 3 years from application due date.
- Must complete all requirements for a BSN within 36 months or less.
- No history of felony conviction or any record of drug abuse. A driving under the influence (DUI/DWI) violation is disqualifying if within four years of the application deadline, or convicted of any misdemeanors (except minor traffic violations) within three years of the application deadline.
- Have no record of courts-martial convictions or civilian felony convictions.
- Security Clearance, contact your Security Management Office. JPAS security investigation printout is acceptable.
- Favorable endorsement from commanding officer