Navy Tuition Assistance Program
The tuition assistance program can help cover the cost of college, vocational or certification training. This is one program you should take advantage of. Tuition assistance pays for both classroom and distance learning courses and will help further your career in and outside the Military. You can use this to enhance your Navy rating career path, start a new career path or pursue dual career paths.
To be eligible for tuition assistance, you must be an active duty or reserve Military member. Reservist are eligible too if they will be recalled to active duty for 120 days. They must be active duty for the entire length of the course but Navy requirements may change. To use the tuition assistance program, the college must be regional, national, or professionally accredited.
Other requirements are you should receive counseling form your Navy College Office prior to applying for tuition assistance and if you receive a failing grade or withdraw you must reimburse the Navy. It is strongly recommended that you talk to your supervisor or Division Chief, as applicable, prior to getting counseling at your Navy College Office.
Other Important Things
You must send a copy of your Tuition Assistance form to your regional VA office. Be sure to write "Top Up" on the top of the form. You must also complete a VA Benefits Form 22-1990 (with "Top Up" written on the top.) This will get sent to your local VA office also.
Tuition Assistance Resources
• Tuition Assistance - from Navy College
• Tuition Assistance Application Guideline
• TA Form 1560/3 Rev(09/07) - PDF
• Tuition Assistance Online assistance - use this if you need help or have aquestion about the program.
• Voluntary Education (VOLED) for Navy Sailors
• College Education - Navy friendly colleges with links to college offices and G.I. Bill information.
• Uniform Regulations & Awards
• Navfit98 Download & Tips to Improve Your Evaluations or brag sheet